Last week we kicked off our blog series detailing teacher time-savers that can prove helpful any day of the week. We have pulled together a few Istation Reading instructional activities below that you can use each morning to save time.Pre-K to 2nd Grade
- Students can create flashcards using the appropriate skill words from Istation’s Teacher Resources.
- Students can use the vocabulary category cards from Istation’s Teacher Resources to play charades with a partner. There are eight other games listed to give you some good ideas!
- Students can alphabetize vocabulary words using any of Istation’s vocabulary category cards or skill words. (see link above)
- Students can complete an open sort using Istation’s vocabulary category words or skill words. (see link above)
- After reading an Istation book, students can complete a digital story map the next day. Istation has many graphic organizers to choose from if you do not have one of your own.
- Students can read and record an Istation fluency passage using an iPad or other recording device. There are many leveled Lexile® passages as well as charts to track fluency growth. Learn more about using Lexile levels here.
- Kindergarten and 1st grade students can select an Istation book, read it, and record it using an iPad.
- Students can play Istation’s synonym and antonym memory game.
3rd to 5th Grade
- Select an Istation fluency passage and have students read and record it using an iPad or laptop.
- Practice with making inferences flash cards.
- The tic-tac-toe vocabulary game can be used with partners or teams with any vocabulary words.
Middle to High School
- Students can play the I have . . . who has . . . ? game with Latin roots.
- Create a word wall in your classroom. This guide for middle school teachers gives suggested words and activities to use with your new wall.
- Here’s a lesson about environmental print. Students can use their new knowledge to create their own game, opening up many options for gamification!
We hope having this list of instructional reading activities adds time back to your busy schedule. Tune in next week to learn more! Let us help you make the most of your classroom time.